View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: What is the most tragic thing you\'ve ever had to deal with

When I was 24 years old my father sat me down and told me that he had something to tell about the last few months.

After having difficulty with urination he went to get his prostate checked out. The typical examination and testing gave a diagnoses of prostate cancer. He had been having some serious back issues for a few months and further testing revealed that it had engulfed his prostate and metastasized into both his spine and rib ends. For anyone who doesn't know it, bone cancer is a terrible, painful way to die.

The Oncologist had told Dad to get his house in order because he had at most 6 months to live. As well, if he wanted to live for 6 months he needed to be castrated to slow the progress of the cancer.

Now Dad was born in the 40's and played professional hockey back in the days before I was born...no one was going to castrate him. He actually said, "This guy must be a [censored] moron to think he is taking my balls and if he is a moron then I am getting a second opinion."

I will be 38 on Saturday and my dad will be at dinner with all of us, my son will insist on sitting beside his grandpa. He has shown no evidence of cancer in over 10 years.

Keep the faith kcheel.