View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: High gap versus low gap rundown hands

[ QUOTE ]
Look at redraws you have with the nutstraight with 9875 and with 9765.

[/ QUOTE ]

I addressed this in my original post and as I stated I suspect that 987 5 would be stronger than 9 765 in this respect. BTW, which nut straight? Each makes 11 nut straights and it matters which one you are talking about.

However, I have a couple of thoughts concerning redraws to higher straights. First, if you make your hand on the river there are no redraws period. Second, if you make your vulnerable though nut straight on the turn the differences between the possibilities of higher straight redraws between the two hands pales (as an overall percentage difference) when added to the totality of all redraws. Basically, for this difference to vest you have to make your hand on the turn with 9 765, a higher straight redraw has to hit on the river, and it has to be one that 987 5 would have had protection from. A pretty big parlay to call the 9875 hands "much better" than the 9765 hands.

My point is not that they aren't different in strength, but that the difference is very, very small. So small that preflop there should be no playing differences between these hands as many noted authors, including on this forum, have advised. The difference in these two types of hands is on the order of the difference between 9876 and 8765.

I think.

Patty