View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: 200nl - 67s, gross turn semi-bluff shove?

This is a wet flop with an ace on it, hero has a deceptive up and down straight draw in last position, and there are 3 players to the flop. I usually check behind here to take a free card. If I hit a non-heart straight vs somebody with a set or 2-pair or big draw who tried to c/r the flop, I can win a lot at no extra cost this way. And I just don't think I usually have enough fold equity to cb here into 3 people.

As played, I probably call the turn donk bet getting just shy of 3:1 pot odds with possibly as many as 15 outs, but many of those outs are suspicious if villain appears to like them as much as we do (i.e. a T gives and Qx, like AQ, a higheer straight). But we act last. And we can call, or fold or bet based on the river card and what this aggressive post-flop player chooses to do with it.

I don't like pushing as much as just calling for the pot odds. Villain probably has something good, but less than a set or 2-pair since he'd probably lead or c/r the flop with those. Hands like AK/AQ/AJ/AT make sense for villain, but if he has AdQd, any AJ, or AdTd then he's not folding to the push and you are a big underdog. Vs the other Top-pair hands, you have probably good fold equity, but it's hard to say if it's enough.

I don't think pushing is bad, I just think I'd prefer to take the free card on the flop, and then take the pot odds on the turn rather than go for the fold equity with a push.