View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
Expected value is a poor term due to the variance inherent in this type of "stuff". Putting together a roster of the highest "EV" players or whatever you want to call them would be a pretty piss poor way to manage a team. You'd end up with dismal black holes and superstars at random positions and this doesn't even really take into account the fact some teams have a cyclical pattern in competition. If the Rays feel they are ready to go in the next few years, they may not want to wait for Young who may or may not develop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not you want to build a team with the highest EV is arguable. Black holes can be improved upon very easily. I'd much rather end up with half superstars and half black holes. One thing you can do is weight risk a little higher or lower. The funny thing is, Garza is more risky than Young. That's the real problem I have with this deal.

Personally, I think the Rays window is going to be 2009-2011. This deal is very bad for that time frame.

[ QUOTE ]
As an aside the outrage over this v the willingness for wanting to the Yanks to part with Melky is mindboggling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I want the Yanks to part with Melky for Johan Santana. This is Delmon Young for Matt Garza.