View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: How to play low pairs in draw?

You do get immediate odds to draw to a set here (in case this is a 6max FL table, if it's shorter or PL/NL your odds are worse), but you don't hold a great hand even if you DO hit one of your two outs, as you are out of position and you got to consider what might have made the other people call. On higher Limits I can't really imagine seeing a 6 handed drawing round with a single raise in the pot. On lower limits you're likely to be up against 2 or 3 pairs, 2 straight or flush draws and perhaps a low two pair or something. In any case, the chances of one of them improving to a hand better than your eights is fairly decent (I estimate around 50% or even higher), so even if you do hit your one in eight draw you shouldn't be too happy about it.

I somehow think this hand is only slightly +EV to call, and that's from the rather big implied odds when hitting your rare Full House here. This hand is definitly more playable if you have 3 overcards to your 88, but I wouldn't expect this to be a big winner. (However I stand to be corrected)