View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Belated Pooh-Bah Post

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain more about your adjustment here? It sounds like you are saying you call more often with PPs after the adjustment, but I have seen several posts recently that say most of the time the implied odds just aren't there even when the stacks exceed this ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call less often with poket pairs actually. The 5/10 rules works out to were you will need to on average make 10 times your pre-flop ibvestment in order to setmine. DBitel showed that it is more accurately actually that you will need to make 11.7 times your pre-flop investment so you will need to be able to get more money in order to purely setmine....remember we are talking about playing it just to setmine.

And you bring up a good point...this doesn't mean that the money has to be in the stacks (it does.. this is necessary but not sufficient)...it means that the money has to be in the stacks and you have to be able to get it in the middle. Obviously this is what you need to judge and is based on several factors notably the villian and his range.

This is why when a TAG with an attempt to steal of 33% open raises on the button calling with 66 to setmine isn't really going to be so good (you can call if you plan to not always play fit or fold). Folding here would also be fine. I like to 3bet a decent amount of the time. Same thing really if he raises on the CO and you're on the button....here though I might call sometimes instead of 3betting because it will be easier to float and play my midpair IP. You might even think about things if a good player raises in EP since he probably won't stack off light. You always have to be thinking about your implied odds especially in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Another question about the 3betting. You mention 3betting loose players with hands as weak as AT, AJ. What do you do when you miss the flop, you c-bet and they inevitably make the loose flop call. I get so lost when this happens and often find myself check folding the possible best hand on the turn. (I guess this applies to any non-pair hand you 3bet them with).

[/ QUOTE ]

(First of all c-bets in 3bet pots do not need to be as big as normal. 2/3's of the pot is plenty sufficient.) Well in my experience it is very rare that they will call a c-bet on the flop in a 3bet pot with nothing....even players who don't fold to c-bets very often usually will here. (There are some players who are just crazy and there have actually been about 3 or 4 times in the few hundred thousand hands I've played that I've just called OOP with AQ,AJ...but IMO those are very rare spots.) And you'll stack those guys a lot in 3bet pots when you hit TP or better.

If you miss the flop and get called on the flop then check/folding the turn will usually be the best play.

Remember though that they have to be raising loose to 3bet them and not just have a high volume put in the pot.

It is a lot easier to play in position so it will be a lot easier to 3bet these loose player's CO raises from the button, but it's still +ev to do so from the blinds even if you end up check/folding the turn sometimes.