Thread: TG Appetizers
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM

Default TG Appetizers

Since we're traveling to the Warden's parents' place this year, I only have to prepare appetizers for the feast. I was wondering what others are doing for apps. Here's what I'm making. These are simple because they have to travel, but they should prove tasty.

1. Fried goat cheese and feta fritters on toast.

Blend goat cheese, feta, dicd kalamata olives, and diced fresh portabellas and form into 2" patties. Press each patty into unseasoned bread crumbs. Fry fritters in olive oil until golden brown. Set aside to drain.

Cut fresh lavash bread into wedges and toast in the oven. Thinly slice radishes and cucumbers. Place one fritter on a slice of toasted bread and top with a slice of radish or cuke.

2. Bacon-wrapped mushrooms

Wrap half a slice of smoked bacon around a whole medium-size fresh mushroom. Secure bacon with a toothpick. Coat with herbed oil and grill until the bacon is crisp.

I'm substituting this for bacon-wrapped scallops, as the scallops won't stand up to travel.

3. Bison empanaditas

Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add olive oil. Fry diced onion, pressed garlic, cumin, and oregano. Add Worcestershire sauce or red wine to the ground bison meat, blend it in, and toss the meat into the skillet to brown.

I'm cheating with pre-made dough. Fill dough with bison mixture, fold over, and crimp edge with a fork. These suckers are deep fried ahead of time, then popped in the oven to warm up.

Getting hungry just thinking about it. What is everyone else making for pregame?