View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Child Raising - Discipline issues

I'm 44 with an immigrant mother who did %95 of all the physical punishment. Mostly with spoons or a rug beater, never on the face. I'm not violent at all. If any thing, a little meek. As I got older, maybe 4th or 5th grade, the corporal punishment wasn't really much of a threat. I liked to laugh at my Mom when she tried to hit me. On the other hand the loss of priveleges were a big deal. They became the only punishment by the time I was in Junior High.

My younger brother was a bit of a trouble maker and got a lot more beatings than me. Even my generally calm American Dad had to step in once in a while. Although I'm doing OK, my younger brother turned out to be hugely successful and even less violent than me.

I'm surprised that so many of you younger guys were still spanked as kids. I honestly thought that didn't really happen any more (in polite society anyway).

I never planned on having children so I can't comment on what I would do. But just from my own experience it doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal.