View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: What do you want to do when you grow up?

I like this topic. I just quit my job Friday with no real other job lined up. I'm just going to see what happens.

I guess I wanted to be a rock star most of my pre-teen and teenage years. I had a band, and playing my guitar was all I really was interested in. That just sort of faded away when I couldn't find people to start bands with, couldn't make money, etc... While attending junior college, I took a job at a radio station and fell in love with radio. Rock DJ became my new calling. Then getting paid became my new calling as I was making horrible money. I took a position at a radio station doing sales. I liked it and did really well - I billed 1 out of 3 dollars the company made in 2006. I was then offered a management position. I started feeling trapped and worn down after time and quit yesterday. I have a few real estate deals lined up as well as some consulting work.

The point of all that is this - I think what I really wanted to do when I grew up was not listen to other people. Rock star, radio DJ, these seemed like very indepedent jobs. Even sales offered me a good bit of autonomy. Management kept me very confined.

Now, consulting and real estate never crossed my mind in earlier years, but they now offer me the opportunity to do my own thing. So, I'm not really doing what I wanted to do, but I'm taking steps at getting back to the underlying reasons I wanted to do what I did.