View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: So I\'m getting screwed by a bookie. Ideas?

Naj,

All locals hedge if they know what they're doing. They'll take unbalanced action to a point, but they're usually going to shift some of it, somewhere, sometime.

Big problem is its hard for them to lay off teaser money, especially with what Dali was doing. RR'ing six teams a week, you really think the guy's going to go through and figure out how to best lay that action off? Not to mention that he can't effectively since he's offering a MUCH better price than the market, even if he wanted to...

Point is, no other locals are going to want to get involved with this.

Not to mention, you're not going to be able to find someone he has a relationship with to begin with, and even if you could, they're not going to want to get involved. If they're doing business together it's not something they're going to disrupt on the word of some random guy who claims he's owed 80k (not that i'm doubting, but again its not like you have documentation).

What are you envisioning? Dali working the rounds trying to find another local, asking them if they know Mr. X, and then telling them that Mr. X owes me 80k would you like to buy it off?

Dali,

You really don't want to go trying to sell this debt off. The _only_ way to effectively do so would be to sell it to your local version of "Grammar" and move further in to the criminal / thuggery world. Which you don't want to do here, ldo.

Your only option is verbal confrontation, ideally in the legit place of business, and intimidation / settlement. But don't dream of pushing too hard, as 80k is more than enough for someone to get desperate.

This whole situation is essentially someone complaining about a cancelled bet on a rogue line.

I don't want to be too harsh, Dali. But you knew 6-point 2-team teasers at +100 was a rogue line these days, and instead of trying to milk it gently you put together a mini-syndicate and pounded it. You certainly didn't deserve to get stiffed, but its not surprising at all you'd get cut off. Depending on how quickly you ramped up your action, sounds like you may have caught him offguard with your winrate and how much he'd owe so quickly. Unless he's really stupid, he's probably not busto and is just trying to screw you over directly. Take the recommended action, you're likely to get some of "your" money, maybe even most of it if you play your cards right.

This sort of thing is VERY common with winning bettors in the local world unless you build a relationship with your local. If you have a good relationship with them, if you generally help them balance their books / etc, you'd be surprised at how well they'll treat you.

If you find an edge (hugely stale line, mispriced teasers, whatever) and try to absolutely hammer it, don't be surprised when your action gets cut / you get stiffed / you get a visit.

-P