View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:11 PM

Default Re: 6000th Post. Let\'s Try This Hand Reading Thing Again

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice post. Thanks for the effort you put into it.

Sometimes this is Ax that has put you solidly on TP and wants you to take a stab at the river, feeling you will fold on the turn. You can't always interpret call-check-raise as a flush draw. It's no good talking about ranges if you then discount the range without reason.

A flush draw needs to fold the flop, by the way. (A good reason to bet top pair, actually; I'm not sure why you're so keen on checkfolding. Risking being bluffed is part of poker. And worse hands don't always fold. Sometimes they call and hope to get lucky.) A pair plus FD is enough to chase, so maybe he had that, but he must have had specifically 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

You need to think about what hand you have portrayed to him and what type of player he is, as well as what hands his action fits. Handreading does not end at just coming up with conceivable ranges.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow this post is so bad on so many levels

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, like I didn't know a loyal follower would be along to kiss arris within a few minutes. Luckily, I know my post was good and your critique won't be. So let's see.

[ QUOTE ]
1.He never said call/check/raise is always a flush draw but it obvioulsy is frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say he always said it was. I said you should not discount other things it can be.

He has written a post about hand ranges in which he narrows a hand range without any reason. I think it's reasonable to talk about that.

[ QUOTE ]
2.You can easily discount parts of ranges as the hand progresses

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. With reason. You cannot discount any part of the range for no good reason.

[ QUOTE ]
if you put someone on a pfr range of TT+ AQ+ and they keep firing at an ace high board are you going to say well they could have TT JJ QQ KK my A2 is way ahead of his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

See how you have a good reason to narrow their range there? You've picked a quite specific example. But in the one at hand, villain's bet fits quite a few different hands, not just a made flush, some of which you beat easily. Do you see the difference?

[ QUOTE ]
3.Nobody ever folds a flush draw on this flop, nor should they

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm done with you, son. I *want* you to call me with a flush draw on this flop. I *want* you to keep calling me, hoping to get lucky. Call me again on the turn because, hey, you still have great implied odds on the river. I *rely* on fish calling because they have flush draws. That's how the chips come my way.