View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Do you want to have children?

That isn't semantics. Unless I have a duty to breed, I'm not aware of, there is nothing selfish about my decision. The only individual impacted by my choice is myself. Which excludes the possibility of acting selfish.

[ QUOTE ]
You have been told the positives. You've been told how positively life-changing children are, but you don't believe it. All you can see are the negatives, which of course there are, but we are telling you they are far outweighed by the positives. You simply refuse to see it. Why is that? Because you're selfish. You don't want to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is because those things have no value to me. You fail to understand that preferences are not universal. Is the concept that certain people have different preferences that hard to grasp?

Many people devote hours to watching NASCAR. I can't stand NASCAR. If a NASCAR fan tried to convince me of the virtues and benefits of the sport and after considering it I still did not agree would you then maintain that I was simply refusing to see that the benefits of NASCAR outweighed the positives?

This is the problem with people who choose to have children. The impact a child has on their life is so big that they have to convince themselves that it is the greatest thing in the world to justify it. Then they can't understand why rational individuals would be able to make any decision other than having a child.