View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Mine \"tragedy\" really? - news events w/ disproportionate coverage

[ QUOTE ]
But I think it's the same reason that lots of people will get enraged by Michael Vick and dogfighting without batting an eye about 200 people getting blown up in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]
Michael Vick is getting railroaded for a few reasons. He had to get caught in the slowest sports period of the year. Had he got caught during the season, during march madness, during the baseball playoffs, hell, anytime but the 45 day window he got busted in it would have been a much smaller deal. Race has something to do with it as well. Actually not so much race as race+athletic status+jealous people. And sports media being the most pathetic type of media there is doesn't help.

Speaking of, this entire thing pisses me off. Dog fighting is terrible and all that, but what is happening to Vick because he is Vick is retarded. The whole concept that is driving peta and the prosecution is "we got to get michael vick" Quentel Woods didn't even go to jail or get suspended for getting caught dumping one of his fighting dogs in a dumpster and I know the federal government has caught other dogfighting rings and not put this much effort into it, if any. I have trouble believing one house in Virgina is even in the top 50 for worst dogfighting rings of all time.

I feel with the current state of mass media our country is in constant witch hunt mode which leads to things like the Duke Lacrosse situation and the Imus case*

*Imus sucks but any rational person knows this was blown out of proportion

edit

Another thing that drives me crazy are AMBER ALERTs and that type of stuff. The media and politicians and I'm sure other people are creating a society of constant fear for our children. The other day at work this lady was worried because her 15 year old daughter's flight was cancelled and her and her friends were put up in a hotel overnight. She was 75% convinced someone was going to get them drunk and rape them. She was dead serious and totally worried, like it was unavoidable and certain to happen.