View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Limit Holdem can only be profitable with high stakes vs. no limit

[ QUOTE ]
Also I don't know so can someone tell me what is the average/good win rate playing Limit Holdem? (I think its BB/H not sure)

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to make an educated guess and then continuously examine this guess and readjust accordingly based upon new data. Sklansky and Malmuth provide very general to very technical advice regarding this. For instance, Sklansky wrote in The Theory of Poker that, "If [and this 'if' is crucial] you have estimated your hourly rate correctly, your eventual winnings will approximate your projected hourly rate multiplied by the total hours played" (p. 15, 2005, my emphasis; also see Slanky's Poker, Gaming & Life, p. 110, 2000). Additionally, in Gambling for a Living , Sklansky and Malmuth note that, "the amount of money you ought to win as a professional poker player should be fairly close to one big bet an hour if not more" (p. 220, 1997). But this needs to be contextualized with what they have more recently said (see my first reply to this post). Furthermore, in Gambling Theory and Other Topics, Malmuth includes a chapter called "Win Rate Accuracy," and in it he states that, "In some games, it may take a lifetime to find out exactly how well you play" (p. 68, 2004). However, in Poker Essays, he qualifies this in a chapter called, "Win Rate Accuracy Revisited," by saying that, "If you have a good understanding of the game you are playing in and are well-disciplined, then by observation, you will gain a pretty good idea of what your win rate should be in a relatively short period of time. However, if your understanding of the game is poor, don't expect to do very well in the long run, even if your recent results are spectacular" (p. 70, 2004). Finally, I'd recommend you check out Malmuth's essay in Poker Essays II titled, "Moving Up" (2005).