View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Razz-caution or coward?

I tried looking at hand one, using the excellent calculator from propokertools.com and was a little surprised by some of the numbers.

Here's a breakdown of your equity numbers, in percentage points, from street-to-street, using some different assumptions about your opponent's hand distribution. I also assumed he was going to keep betting, no matter his hole cards, until 6th.

Wide starting range (98-32): 55-35-45-61-49

Medium starting range (86-32): 52-31-38-55-40

Nitty starting range (75-32): 50-30-34-43-31

Quick summary:

* You're never much of a favorite on 3d, even against someone who will play 98A against you.

I'm sure most razz people knew this, but to me it is a surprise. Since most openers are going to have a wider range than 42A it suggests you can be pretty liberal calling opening raises, as long as you don't show your bad cards.

* You're always worse of on 4th than on 5th. So your opponent catching an eigth apparently isn't all that bad.

The call should still be pretty horrendous due to you not having much in the way of implied odds. The only way I see you having those are if your opponent either is calling when obviously beat or going nuts with rough pats when you catch perfect on fifth.

* The seven is pretty much the perfect card for the opponent on 4th. Only 3:s and 6:s are as good. All other small cards are from 2-6 points worse.

* You're not ahead against a nit on 6th.

* Range vs range you're not really ahead against anybody on 6th. An opponent can have a ton of boardlocks and should punish you with a lot of 3-bets and bluffs here.

* You're not ahead against an unmodified range on 7th.

To be able to value bet here you need to be able to exclude quite a few hands from your opponent's range due to him simply calling you on 6th and checking on 7th.