View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: SHOULD I JUST LET THIS GO, stars 200plo8

[ QUOTE ]
its the nit that worries me!!!! it really makes me feel sick seeing him have a-k with flush draw, then spiking it on the river, and my pc can only take soo much of a bashing!!!

[/ QUOTE ]Gazazaza - Yes.

Think of it this way. If the nit does have the same Broadway as you, and if the nit raised your $24 bet to $24*4=$96, and if the fish folded, then starting from where you're faced with the raise, you'd be playing to get your own $31 back plus $5.00 from the pot after the first betting round (half the pot contributed by everyone other than you and nit, who both get your own money back it you split).

You'd be risking $140-$31=$109 to possibly win $36. Assuming Nit has a redraw to a full house or flush, roughly 80% you win $36 and 20% you lose $109 (something like that).

.8*36-.2*109 = $28.8-$21.8 = +$7.0 = e.v. (Your e.v. is positive).

Looks like you have a good call.

But since you're matching dollar for dollar with nit, if you raise yourself, you don't gain any of the money that is already in the pot. (That belongs to whoever is destined to win the pot).

.8*0-.2*109 = -$21.8 = e.v. (Your e.v. is negative with the raise).

Thus if Nit raised and Fish dropped out, you would have favorable e.v. or odds or whatever you want to call it to call a bet, but not favorable e.v. or odds to initiate fresh money into the pot.

I'm not sure that I've made it clear, but basically this would be one of those situations where, because of the money already in the pot, you should call, but raising would be purely stupid.

That's not exactly the situation here, because Fish is still in the pot and has $60 more than Nit. Assuming the Broadway holds up, and assuming Nit also has it but Fish doesn't, you split with Nit and win an extra $60 from Fish. Or, assuming you get out-drawn by Nit, you only show a net loss of only $80 (because you get $60 back from Fish).

Tough decision. But raising is probably wrong (unless Nit isn't such a nit after all and is playing for the board to pair or flush).

Buzz