View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Some thought on ...... ahem ..... Bad Beats

Over time, I've seen many posts about bad beats, etc. The following happened last night, and illustrates why I think people who bemoan their bad luck are often --- just plain wrong. Also, sharing part of my philosophy in a beginner's forum as to what is, and is not a bad beat.

Was playing in a $45/10 SnG last night and had the following two hands.

In both cases, I was BB, had an 'average'stack, (and roughly equal stacks with SB) and the First Hand Blinds (200/100) (about 10% of the total chips in play). Second Hand 200/400 (about 20% of the total chips in play)

First hand -- All in heads up against SB (he limped, I pushed). I show AQo, he shows AKo. I flop a queen and knock sb out of the tourneyment.

Second Hand -- SB limps, I check with 76s, Flop is 653 rainbow. SB checks, I push. SB calls shows 62o. Turn is a 2, River is a 6, and I'm gone.

I've seen many postings with similar facts as the second hand, complaining about getting all-in with a dominating hand and having the Villian Suck Out. However, I don't think see that many talking about the situation earlier in the tournament where the Hero gets lucky. IMO, it happens a lot.

Finally -- is either hand 1 or hand 2 a bad beat. I don't think so. With the Blinds as they were, I think my push in hand 1 was the correct move. When someone makes the correct move and gets lucky, it's not a bad beat. In hand 2, I can't fault villian from calling with TP no kicker (especially when he thought his gutshot draw gave extra outs). Not a bad beat, just got outdrawn.