View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: The 10xBB push or fold when antes involved

[ QUOTE ]
Say when you have 2100 chips when the blinds are 100/200, you shouldn't be pushing without a premium hand because you have more than 10xBB, but when the blinds are 100/200/25 (with an ante of 25), and you have 2100 chips, should you still not push because you have more than 10xBB?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you choose to make a standard raise instead then the pot on the flop will be slightly larger (because of the antes) meaning that you will be slightly more committed, and hence you should have been more likely to choose pushing over a standard raise in the first place...

Also, I think it's a bad idea to "set in stone" that you are going to not push whenever you have more than 10BBs. Sometimes you might want to push 12-15BB depending on how hard the hand is to play postflop (eg: unexploitable pushes with small PP and Ax hands) and other times you might want to try standard raising AA/KK with 7-8BB vs an unobservant donk...

Rather than setting an arbitrary threshold of 10BB, ask yourself each time: "If I standard raise, then will I be so committed that I will have to put the rest of my chips in whatever the action and on pretty much any flop?". Most often the answer to this is yes when you have ~10BB or less (but not always!).

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]