View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Once - (Movie recommendation)

I have never been so blown away by a movie as I was by Once. I HIGHLY recommend that everyone see it as soon as possible.

Don't worry, no plot spoilers below (at least in this post).

Basically, the movie is a musical. However, as far as I know, this is the only modern musical in existence (Are there others? Please post if so).

There is no spontaneous bursting into songs like you would expect in a musical. Instead, the music is actually part of the plot line.

The lead actor Glen Hansord is the lead singer of The Frames, and the lead actress is Marketa Irglova. She compliments him perfectly.

The plot line in the movie is very basic. Nothing really out of the ordinary. Just a nice simple story. The music, however, is just unreal beautiful.

If you already know my personal taste in music and don't like it, don't worry about that. The music in this movie is pretty universally likable. Seriously, if you don’t like this music, then you are a bad person. You are a terrible human being and do not deserve this movie. But don’t worry about that either, because you will like this movie and the music in it. IT’S THAT GOOD.

Unfortunately, the movie is only playing in a few major cities. If it's not playing near you, you can always buy the soundtrack.

If it is, I recommend seeing the movie before listening to any of the music. I think the movie will be much more enjoyable if you are hearing it for the first time.