View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Button, cutoff, and hijack win rates

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[quoteThat sounds like a reasonable hypothesis, but what are your stats for each position?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is using a filter to include only hands where at least 4 players were dealt hands.

In terms of BB won per hand:
button=.06
1 off=.08
2 off=.12

I'll check back after I have a bigger sample. I'll also check the bottoms of the ranges to see performance as Stox suggested. I want to be sure this is not being caused by hands like 22,33, A3s, etc, that I'd be open raising from the button but not from 2 away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Collect a greater sample and post. All those postions yield a positive expectation.

The other question is, why wouldn't you be open raising with a suited ace from the hijack? It's a possible draw to the nuts and top pair, against four more possible callers. Also, 22, and 33, would be worth an open raise.

See Sklansky, Holdem Poker for Advanced Players,p.247, questions 3 and 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to touch on that suited ace question, it is just the kicker size. I open raise with A3s on the button and increase the kicker requirement by one for each place you move away from the button. I open with A5s in the hijack. With pocket pairs it is 22 on the button, then 33 on the cutoff, and again increase by one for each place moving away from the button. I'm thinking of tightening the pocket pairs up by one notch, starting with 33 on the button.

I've read the Sklansy book several times. This is intended to be a more advanced area than that book deals with. That book does not come close to dealing with the specificity of opening ranges for each key position, blind defense, etc, that the Stox book does. Also, Poker Tracker allows us to answer specific questions about what types of hands perform best at which positions in the exact types of games we play and fine tune a bit more.