View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
I once over heard a guy saying that 89 suited was 50/50 vs Aces. I questioned him on it and he stuck to his guns saying that it was 50/50 and he always cracks Aces with 89 suited. Then other players at the table started to chime in and say the same thing ! Unreal. I even gave them all a way out by saying "Alright I know that 89 suited is a versatile hand and I'd rather have that versus Aces than AK but do you really think that it's 50/50?" The guy then said it may not be 50/50 but it's pretty damn close and a few other people were like "yeah it's pretty close". At that point I just said okay and stayed quiet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was once playing in a pretty big and expensive tournament. The action went as follows: shortstack pushes, regular stack re-pushes, and uber-maniac big stack behind has to call off a considerable number of chips if he wants to play. However, he says he has a hand that's always lucky for him, and he's going to make what seems like a stupid call. The shortstack has A5, the regular stack has AA, and the big stack confidently turns over 98s. Sure enough, he gets one pair on the flop, and the second pair on the turn, and the river is a brick.