View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Re: \"major in anything and go to law school\"

As far as shelling out 150k for school I don't think many schools cost that much, especially the lower tier ones. Are you factoring in housing/transport/other living costs? You are going to pay those whether you are in school or not, so they shouldn't factor in. What the opportunity cost is obviously depends on what the other jobs you could get for those three years are, and if you will be making any money while in school.

Why focus so much on the income following graduation and not on the income you can make over the next 25+ yrs as an attorney vs alternative career?

I am not saying everyone should go to Law School and I'm not saying you are mistaken that it (often?) doesn't make financial sense to go lowly ranked school. I am however not close to convinced that you are correct in that assertion. So the supply has gone up.. Is there really a signifigant amount of un/underemployed lawyers out there?

Simply saying it's expensive and supply has gone up and starting pay has a split distribution isn't enough to determine that it financially/practically makes little sense if you don't go to a top school. That is only three reasons to think it won't make sense, seemingly without consideration of the reasons it might make financial sense to do so. I'm sure for some it makes no sense, but some could be giving up money by not to a lower ranked school, no?

I agree that people should carefully consider whether it is really right for them to invest so much in the education. Why are you trying to scare people away unless they can get into a top school? I'm not directing this only at you. There do seem to be others who share the view, and I would like it if they responded.