View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: \"major in anything and go to law school\"

CDL,

The last LSAT that I'd take is September of senior year. Right now, I'd focus on getting that GPA up, at least over the 3.0 hump. Even if you take June test, don't worry about it until the new year.

I had no idea what I wanted to do as an UG. I did mock trial and enjoyed it, did moot court and enjoyed it, did a legal internship and thought it was alright. I knew that I didn't want to do anything with psychology (my major), and I didn't want to get some entry level finance/business type job. During college, I did no work and BSd my way through class, and I was looking forward to the academic challenge of law school. That being said, my laziness and procrastinating continued in law school, but was balanced out by my good test taking.

This last graph is from '06, but it makes my point nicely. The point is, not everyone is going to be making the big bucks as a lawyer. Schools will publish their average salary as 125k or something, but that is an awful # to use, because its not spread out over the range, but is some people with 160k and the rest with 40k, etc.

This is why if you 1)have dreams of big bucks and 2)can't get into a good law school, then maybe law school isn't for you. Only the cream of the crop at lower ranked law schools will get these big firm market paying jobs, but 90% are going to be shelling out 150k, not to mention the lost earning potential of spending three years in school.

Obviously this went off-track, and I can definitely go more in depth, but one thing that I think is lacking in discussion of "should i go to law school" is the job market/practical side. Who care if you can handle the work and would like being a lawyer if you're buried in debt and can't get a job?

If you have any more specific questions, feel free, I check on this thread often.