View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Angelo: Fastrolling

I like the way Tommy writes and this article doesn't disappoint in that department. I must say however, that I disagree with most of the content of the article.

Taking a track like Tommy advocates will reward type-A asses. Granted, sometimes the non-shower is a weak/embarassed player; in those instances I employ rules similar to what Tommy advocates.

However, when I'm at a showdown with someone who I don't know to be in the weak/embarassed category I "fastroll" when I am supposed to show (either somebody called my river/all-in bet or I am in first position at showdown). When it is their turn to act first (either I called them or they are first to act at showdown) I never show my hand until I see theirs.

There is a need for good techniques on how to do this and not come across as an ass. When people say "I missed" or "you got me" I've heard that saying "show or fold" works pretty well.

When I hear "I missed" or "you win" or something to that effect I usually just say "cool" (in a lighthearted way) and sit there in the same position with my hands on my cards.

I mean the problem with Tommy's position is that for those who are willing to be asses, they will never have to show their hands unless 1) they have a winner or 2) somebody has the guts/nerve to wait out their little game.

I know a few players I play with freqently who are masters at never showing unless they have a winner. Playing as Tommy suggests would only strengthen their position.

On a side note, I really must disagree with the argument that since a player is weak he should be treated differently based on some equity/justice argument. It's ok to treat weak players differently on a donkey argument (we want them as comfy as possible so they don't leave). But as far as equity/justice is concerned why (in a closed environment with well defined rules--such as in a game) should somebody's skill level give them a special status?(handicapping situations being exempted of course).