View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: wait for turn, or charge the draw now?

I don't really see a problem here with raise/folding *this* turn against a predictable opponent. About the only realistic hand here that is 3betting for value is K9, with K4s and K2s also possible depending on how loose he is. So you're not really giving up very much equity at all when you have to fold to the 3bet, and you certainly gain more from all the worse Kx calldowns you get.

That said, I like how you played this hand. Flush draws are a large part of the BBs flop check/raise range, so it makes sense to wait to see how your equity changes on the turn.

I think 3betting the flop is a fine line, and certainly should be used some of the time for variation. But your hand really isn't strong enough that you want to fast play it, and you're not in any better situation if you 3bet the flop and the turn comes the 9d. Now you bet the turn and you're usually crushed when he check/raises but you convince yourself to call down.

By the way, the idea of charging the draw is nonsense. All that matters is your equity versus your opponents' hand range and how it will change on future streets. It's irrelevant who has a made hand and who has a draw. (Besides your opponent doesn't always have a draw; his range is wider than that.) BTW, if your opponent has a hand like Ad 4d, then you're not "charging a draw" -- you're simply building a bigger pot in a coinflip situation where you are the one with reverse implied odds.