View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Breaking out the mundanity of every day life (long)

I'd say you're not too badly off but I can understand why you're frustrated with where you're at right now. Some observations.

1. You are in no position to seriously concentrate on poker. Get your debt taken care of first, and then slowly build up a reasonable bankroll through your boring job before you even think about that. My recommendation is that you don't borrow any more money from your friend (or anybody else) to play poker with, if you value the friendship. Especially since the possibility of blowing your bankroll is going to negatively affect your play, hence making it even more likely you lose. He will resent you for that even if he's been very understanding so far. Borrowing money to play poker is a bad habit, play with your own bankroll (extra money that you don't need to allocate for living expenses), or don't play at all.

2. If drinking is a problem for you, quit drinking. Simple as that. If you can drink socially in moderation, then its not a problem, don't worry about it. But if you're spending so much money on liquor that its cutting into your ability to pay off your debt, this is stupid and you need to cut that out. Some people find that its easier to quit drinking entirely than it is to drink in moderation, if this is you then take a stand and don't drink.

3. Sounds like you've learned something about life as far as being promised things that aren't realistic. Next time your parents try to talk you into something that you know you don't want for yourself, you can ignore them (even though they probably mean well) and do what's right for you. This is most definitely a good thing.