Thread: Coping with ADD
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Coping with ADD

[ QUOTE ]
Your theory about ADD helping poker makes no sense at all to me. Hyperfocus? Doesn't ADD result in a lack of ability to focus? I think this is one of the biggest problems I see in bad players. They sit down and start out fine, but don't focus or concentrate and start making mistakes. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think long sessions for people who are ADD are a bad idea, for this reason. But while ADD leads to a lack of focus overall, when ADD people get dialed in, they're frequently intensely focused and like superhumanly alert. In fact this is one reason that some doctors and such don't like calling ADHD a "disorder," because they see it as just a condition with tradeoffs.

Anyway, even though this comes from my intro paragraph, it's a little off-topic. However, it is kind of related in that I am interested in what ways that ADD people minimize the negative effect and maximize the positive - at the poker table. I find that the traditional rule about playing long sessions only when you're winning is even more true wrt my ADD. If I'm losing and waiting for cards I completely lose focus and end up making dumb plays because I lose my patience. But when I'm winning I can be very stimulated and "hyperfocused" for incredibly long periods of time.