View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Getting Married for Tax Breaks

[ QUOTE ]
Hey All,

My girlfriend and I are 19 year old college students, and we're both currently claimed as dependents by our parents. The only way to be claimed as inependents for us is to get married. And yes, we'd be doing this solely for the financing benefits - but we also sort of like each other. I'm wondering if anyone knows how much this will help our college financing? And also, how much will it hurt our parents taxes?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the financial benefits would really be. But I just want to make sure that I understand your plan. So you want to marry a person that you probably wouldn't other wise marry for some vague financial benefit? You ever seen 'who wants to marry a millionaire'? That'd be you.

What about later on after divorce? You'll be 22 and divorced which prob doesn't look too good to other potential spouses. And what'll you tell a potential spouse? That you got married at 19 in order to save a get a little more financial aid (which you'll still be paying off)? That sounds crazy.

I can't think of any good reason to get married besides an honest desire to spend your life with someone. Call me old fashioned.