View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Nutt gone

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Exec summary please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nutt likes to be loved.

There is a lot of hate for Nutt among the fan base since the Mustain/Gus/email/texting/FOI snafu.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think damaniac was asking what the summary of the "Mustain/Gus/email/texting/FOI snafu" was.

I didn't follow the story too closely, but Gus Malzahn was some legendary high school coach who coached Mustain and a couple of other players at some high school in Arkansas -- the high school is called Springfield or something and is in North Arkansas (the fact that it's in North Arkansas matters later).

Nutt really wanted Mustain to come play for him at Arkansas, but Mustain was concerned Nutt's offense wasn't sophisticated enough for him...or something. So Nutt brought along Mustain's high school coach (the aforementioned Malzahn) to become the offensive coordinator at Arkansas, prompting Mustain and some of his teammates to commit to come to Arkansas to play for Nutt.

Fast forward to last year -- Mustain is named the starter after Arkansas gets trounced by USC in the first game of the season, and then Arkansas rattles off 8 straight wins. But Nutt never really lets Malzahn (the former high school coach now Arkansas OC) install 'his' offense, and he replaces Mustain with Casey Dick in the middle of this winning streak. So at the end of the season, Malzahn bolts to Tulsa, Mustain transfers to USC, etc. etc.

In the middle of all this during the season, Mustain got some emails from an anonymous "Nutt family friend" or booster or something claiming Mustain was gay and still breastfed from his mother and threw a lot of INTs and he should transfer. Somehow this email became public. I think Mustain forwarded it onto the coaching staff or something, and the coaching staff forwarded it onto one of their wives, and one of the wives forwarded it onto Nutt's wife, and Nutt's wife wrote something like "lolz this email is hilarious", and all of this became public. Some [censored] like that.

Arkansas fans start clamoring for the public release of more emails exchanged between Mustain and this booster. Eventually, some fan sues Nutt or the University for the public release of all of Nutt's University-issued phone text-message records to see if the coaches have had any contact with this mysterious family friend and booster. I guess because Nutt is a state employee and those records can be made public.

Anyway, the records show that Nutt sent lots of text messages to this booster (who was sending the harassing email to Mustain). However, in addition to the discovery that Nutt was texting/had a connection to this booster who was sending nasty emails to Mustain, it was discovered from the release of his cell phone records that Nutt, a married man, is/was ostensibly plowing some TV news woman (not his wife) from Texas. It was also discovered Nutt had been calling the University of Miami and North Carolina State and perhaps elsewhere -- apparently inquiring about their job openings in the last offseason. It was also revealed Nutt intended on replacing Malzahn, the offensive coordinator, long before Malzahn bolted for Tulsa -- giving credence to the theory that Nutt only hired Malzahn so he could secure the commitments of Mustain & co. and had no intention of giving him any actual coaching duties.

The "haters from the North" thing was Nutt's wife, apparently in denial about the affair between Nutt and the anchorwoman, who wrote a letter claiming that the "armies of haters from the North", ie., Springfield high school and their boosters, were trying to ruin her husband's reputation, in retaliation for benching Mustain or marginalizing Malzahn or whatever.

Yeah so I don't know if I got this all right, someone can jump in and correct any misinformation I just provided.