Thread: Am I a Fish 2?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Am I a Fish 2?

[ QUOTE ]

OR - should you only think this way when the 1000 in the pot comes from the blinds and antes - and not in response to a PF raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
The most important missing assumption in your attempt is that the SC numbers assume that your opponent starts with a random hand. That's valid when your opponent has only posted the blinds, but not when your opponent has chosen to raise as opposed to folding or limping. The raiser's hand is no longer random.

[ QUOTE ]
So if player B has read NLTAP there are a lot of hands he could be calling with here other than a big pair or two big cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you arrived at the right conclusion with an incorrect argument. If your opponent will only call a 4.3 BB raise (less than twice the size of the pot) with two big cards (let's say JT or higher) or a pair 77+, that's 15.7%, less than 1 hand in 6. Such a player is weak, and you should steamroll him by raising a lot, over half of your hands. Proper play is to call or reraise with a lot of hands like Q8 that don't look very good when you play full ring and have to beat 8 other players, but are good enough heads up.