View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Settle a strange question: Is a watch an organon?

[ QUOTE ]

secondly that foreign guy, no your metaphor for what im saying is a gross misrepresentation of what is being said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my analogy is pretty accurate. I used the exact structure of the definition and two objects that are related in a similar way to "an instrument for acquiring knowledge" and "a body of principles of scientific or philosophic investigation"

By the way, I think that "instrument" here does not imply a physical object but rather "a means by which something is done"

[ QUOTE ]

if you consider time as a philosophy which it is, then looking at a watch is a philosophic investigation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you consider the Metric system a philosophy?

[ QUOTE ]

investigate: transitive verb: to observe or study by close examination and systematic inquiry.

if im not mistaken when you look at a watch to see what time it is then it is an investigation by definition (M-W)

[/ QUOTE ]

When I look at a watch the examination is not close nor is the enquiry systematic. Maybe if I was one of those guys who needed to know it was 9:47:58, 59, 9:48, 01, ... (I think they're called autistic) then it would be but just glancing at a watch is not a investigation.

[ QUOTE ]

so we have a standard to which were referencing. so it the limited phrasing of the definition. the principles set forth are the "standard/s" we use for time and its an application of said principles. in a similar fashion that physics is applied calculus.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh?

[ QUOTE ]

i took the definition as an instrument for acquiring knowledge, you look at a watch you know what time it was when you looked at it. thats information that you didnt have before. hence the acquisition of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, and when I feel my hair blowing around I know it's windy but that doesn't make my hair an organon.

[ QUOTE ]

your currently knowledgeable about the time and can share that with others who dont know.

[/ QUOTE ]
For someone trying to win a forlorn semantic argument, you seem to lack some basic English skills.

In English, an organon is SPECIFICALLY a body of principles of scientific or philosophic investigation.

You have to ignore that vital part of the definition to include physical objects, so while we're being humpty dumpty (words mean whatever I tell them to), I say an icecream is an organon because when I eat it I know what flavour it is.