View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Legalitly of naming a bar/restaurant

[ QUOTE ]
I am opening up a nightclub in 6 weeks, we have everything in place, we just need a name, we have a few in mind, but I dont know the legality of "stealing" a name from a place (out of state). Ie, if I wanted to name it the Stardust, or Peppermill, what is the legality of that? I know when you file the LLC (a diff name from the restaurant) they make sure you arent naming it the same as another person, but what about the actual place? also, any suggestions for a retro 50s/60s name would be cool, free drink if I pick yours and you come in.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there are any real serious issues. If they have it copyrighted I'm sure they could come after you, but while googling I noticed several small businesses with the same name in different states. Probably not an issue at all unless you wanna name it "Google Bar" or something like that. I'm a big fan of the kinda random one word names that nothing to do with what the place is about. Maybe give up some thoughts on what you want the place to be like and then come up with a name to help emphasize the experience you want to convey?