View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: (Re)Writing a New Constitution

[ QUOTE ]
I couldnt get that link to work right now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But what business model would you be subsidizing? If I invent a product I want to be paid handsomely for the effort and investements and risks I had inventing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Labor theory of value FTW!!!

[ QUOTE ]
If I spend 10 years of my life making a product, borrowing money, having people sponsor me and still knowing Im running a risk of never being successfull the least I would want is a guarantee that if the product is successfull then I will reap the benefits of all the time, labour and money invested in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you entitled to such a promise? And who has the *legitimate authority* to *forcibly prevent* other people - people who DID NOT "steal" the idea from you - from similarly reaping the benefits of the time, labor and money THEY invested?

[ QUOTE ]
It would suck balls if 2 weeks after I am done with my product my neighbor copies my exact product and can sell it at a lower price because he did not spend 10 years, lots of labour and money in the development process.

[/ QUOTE ]

But all of this is begging the question, working from an assumption that you're entitled to a government-granted exclusive monopoly. You're not. Please explain why you should be.

[ QUOTE ]
And I think most businesses would be very reluctant to invest 100 of millions in a product if they know that anyone can copy it and they will not see the return of their initial investment.

You are free to not buy the product, but if you want to buy a product invented by me then I should be the one getting your money, not someone who wasnt willing to invest what was required for the development of said product.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your second unfounded assumption: there are no ways of protecting ideas through voluntary agreements. COPYING is one thing, but patents restrict MORE than copying. Patents restrict INDEPENDENT INVENTION. Copying can be restricted through voluntary agreement, since to COPY something you must SEE it first - and you can set the terms upon which you agree to sell or show something to someone else.