View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: my starting strength log

do not look up while squatting, look down as much as possible without falling over (starting strength recommends putting a tennis ball under your chin and then squatting).

also your back should not be totally straight it should follow its natural curve.

I don't know if u're doing this either but I drive up from my hips and until yesterday i was driving forwards (lifting the chest!) because it seems unintuitive to drive UP with your hips; but you need to do this while maintaining the arch in your back for safety; its kind of weird i am still working on it. also make sure your grip is in the right spot (with the thumb over the top of the bar, not under.

these are all things i've realised i had to do after about 8 training sessions and I feel like i have very possibly injured my neck because of bad form, despite spending heaps of time reading / watching etc.

with your deadlift also, you will seriously hurt yourself if your butt comes up first; don't try to iron out the kinks while progressing up weight, you can iron out small form errors later but these ones will damage your back or neck with light weight.