View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Carbon Tax or Cap and Trade

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you are suggesting that the price elasticity of energy consumption is zero and people will consume the same amount of energy regardless of the price. I think you are probably the only person on earth who holds that opinion.

Hanging v firing squad on a social level would depend on which (if either) has greater deterrence value or which provided more comfort to the victim's family, depending on the stated goals in carrying out the capital punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

What we're getting at is this. Why do you assume energy consumption is bad, and have a desire to curb it?

[/ QUOTE ]

My short answer to that would be that the net present value of a inhabitable planet is damn near infinity therefore any non-trivial chance that the planet might be rendered uninhabitable should be taken very seriously. If there is a 1% chance that our current policy will do irreparable damage to the Earth then it seems to me prudent to take reasonable steps to change that policy.

But look, if you think it is a scam or a figment of Al Gore's imagination then just say, "whichever one is cheaper" and there's your answer. All this undergrad-level reasoning is annoying as hell and I don't suggest you try it with your boss or peers in the real world.