View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Re: chaostracize\'s loc: - out of my jurisdiction

[ QUOTE ]
As I said when this was discussed recently, I don't have a problem with people putting an ad as their location. If it was up to me anything but scamy stuff would be allowed. However, if there's going to be a rule against advertising, I think it should be clear what is and isn't allowed both to the mods and to the posters. I'd suggest whatever decision is made be posted in ATF so that when posters violate the rule they can be pointed there.

Edit: maybe there should be a thread before we make a decision asking whether people are annoyed by ad locations

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo, the difference between blatantly asking readers to read your Profile or look at a website, and more subtly telling readers your "occupation", whether or not there are full details in your Profile, is where the line should be drawn.

I am happy to see "Coaching", but not "Coaching, see Profile; "Selling T$", but not "Selling T$, see T$Sales"; etc.

Your own Location of "Learning and teaching the game" is a good example of the subtle advert that I would be happy to allow, if I had the choice.

When it comes to non-profit-making matters, like referring people to an ad-free blog, I regard the above "rule" as a catch-all, admittedly, perhaps, more in the interests of moderators, in that we don't have to check out the blog to see if it is ad-free, and remaining so; and particularly so that other and new members don't see "see Profile" in Locations and use such references themselves, causing a knock-on effect and increasing moderators' workloads by them having to deal with nitty arguments as to whether or not profit and advertising is involved.

There are numerous "clever" Locations used by readers, so I would think we would all prefer to have to spend no more than one second reading them and saying to ourselves "ok", or "not ok - includes link", than having to go though some convoluted assessment procedure. Very little harm of any real consequence would result from this basic method of dealing with Location text, and is really how we have been dealing with it from the off.