View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: What do I do about a card marker?

Hmm.

The marking is a fingernail mark. A crescent shaped indentation along the long side of the card. It's possible it's from someone being too excited when checking aces, but this is too much of a coincidence. Looking through it now, a few others are marked, too, most of them suited to the aces that are marked in each setup (about half of them total), but there is the occasional stray marked card. The decks were clean before the game, I know that for certain.

The problem I have with announcing is that then the person may stop or, worse, find some better way to cheat. I'd really like to find out who it is. I'd hate to have to charge an even higher vig, as we're already at the max people seem to want to pay. ($15 on a usually $60-$100 buyin, depending on rebuys; this just barely covers the food and drink.)

Considering I've changed out setups when I've noticed, and I've never played on a table with a marked setup after I've noticed, I don't think people will think I've been cheating. I have a very good reputation here, and people would respect that I took time to try to figure out who it was. Really, it's not easily noticed unless you're touching the cards. Only one one of the suspects (the chem grad student) was dealing last night, and I don't think he dealt much the last time this happened.

I'm having a smaller game next week and two of the suspects are likely to show up. I'll buy some new setups of the easily marked brands, see what happens. The biggest suspect will be here, as will one other from last night and one person I'm not sure of regardless. There will be at least two trusted people I can get help me watch.

I'm very much a non-violent person, but I play one game with a biker gang. If I get definitive proof on this, I think the only think preventing me from ordering a beat-down is I think the person would then try to get my game busted.

This really sucks I have to do this. It really f'ed up my game last night. I had been doing fairly well, but just the knowledge that this was going on threw me for a loop and I had to suddenly be suspicious of people I thought were my friends. I really do want to make it public, just so I can relax a bit, but I think I should hold off on confronting anybody until after this week.

Blah.