View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Would you stand up after tripling up?

Would you leave a cash game early if your stack got "too big"? This question is partly prompted by reports of Chris Ferguson's bankroll management scheme, whereby he just turned $0 in $10K (I think) online. His rules were that he bought in with at most 5% of his bankroll, and left if his stack grew to more than 10% of his bankroll. I agree with the 5% sit-down bit, but I'm not sure about the 10% stand-up - although I've heard "leave if you triple your buy-in" espoused before.

I was pondering this after a couple of online NL50 sessions this weekend. In one, I'd grown by stack by around 170%, then got knocked down by couple of, er, unfortunate hands, and finished at +14%. In the other I was doing even better - >200% growth - and then had my decision to leave made for me when the little one puked all over the carpet [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

In the second session after doubling up I also loosened up, playing more speculatively preflop and making more continuation bets, which seemed to work more than before, presumably due to the other's fear of stacking.

Of course, the answer to my original question is, it depends - in the second session I was clearly more alert as to how I could use the big stack, rather than in the first where I just got a bit reckless ("oh he can't bust me so I'll go ahead and call").