View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Are all poker players degenerates?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or is there a level one has to reach before being deemed so. I don't think I'm a degenerate, I only play free MTT a couple of times a week, haven't been to Vegas in a while altho I did play a STT at French Lick, IN. Does one have to drink heavily and chase women to be degenerate? That certainly leaves me out, thank goodness. The people I play with don't read here, so I'm being exposed to many new concepts and words. I don't mean that degenerate is new, but it seems that you can't say poker player without including it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The definition you are probalby using, above, for degenerate is probably this one

[ QUOTE ]
a person who has declined, as in morals or character, from a type or standard considered normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people consider any form of gambling to be immoral. In their minds, poker is gambling. Poker is therefore immoral. And poker players are "degenerate" because they have declined in morals or character from a standard that they consider to be normal.

If you believe that gambling is immoral, and if you then play poker for money, then you are a degenerate.

Fortunately, I don't share that belief regarding the morality or immorality of gambling. Nor do most people - just look at the lottery lines when the jackpots get big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post Al. Mirrors my thoughts but much more succinct and direct.

p.s. They're not gambling, they're investing in their retirement plan.