View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Re: The Matching Up Thread I promised

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment but especially to Myrtle. Maybe I should save my stories for a book. Anyone think 2+2 would deviate from Poker? LOL

In my initial post I mentioned it would be difficult for me to not be able to matchup in most any sport or game. After more thought I stand by any games but have thought about a few sports in which I'd have no ghost of a chance. A few are Jai Lai, canoing, hockey and most of the Winter Olympic sports. On the other hand I think I could handicap most of the summer Olympic sports, even being the old fart I am now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

tolbiny asked about this: "Funny thing is just when we were about to adjust where they would have had a slight edge the stakehorse pulled up so I didn't have to give back a single barrel."

When you are gambling and feel there is future potential, it is often wise to allow an oponnent (especially one with a healthy stakehorse) to get a shot at at least one win before the match ends. This helps to both insure goodwill as well as future potential action. Yes this can backfire and instill confidence in a player who can then beat you with the same spot he had been losing with to you just a while earlier. It is like bluffing on the river at poker, sometimes you get called down and lose but it is worth it in the long run.

To thoses ends I would usually play at least one set when I wasn't sure I had the best of it after I was already several sets ahead. Often I would lose this set but it was never a bad investment. Not being a nit is important in the gambling world.

On the subject of not being a nit: Once I offered to play anyone in the world with the eight and the break on a bar table. Unfortunately Dave Matlock came to town the same weekend I had made this offer. I had beaten several name players for $1000 sets earlier in the weekend. Heck I even won a $1500 Joss poolcue from Jimmy King with this bet. Well at the time Dave M. was probably the best bar table player in the US (perhaps the world). I could have easily turned down the action and saved myself a dime but the "nit factor" would have been way too high, especially considering his backer didn't get along too well with me in the first place. So I took the action and as I was supposed to do, I lost. So much for the anyone in the world challenge and not knowing who was in town timing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This still had +EV in the long run. Doing my best Sklansky imitation, "Do you see why?" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

More later,

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

....yup, I do see why.

How many more of these do you have?

Fleshed out and colored up, you already have two chapters.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]