View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: The Poker Mom goes Kettlebell

Day 1: I watched the introduction on Volume One, which basically covers the benefits, rules and safety, grip, breathing, alignment, mechanics, etc.

A note on Steve Cotter's DVD's you aren't going to be watching these for production value. It's basically a guy, (with a somewhat freakish of nature muscle bound build), standing in front of a curtain with one camera on him. Every once in a while thing go wild and the camera will actually Zoom in or out!

On the other hand, for someone with absolutely no experience with lifting, form, etc., the stuff he covers is perfect for me. I need a good foundation on the basics and he does provide that. It's also kind of refreshing that he's the "anti-exercise video smile and hype you up personality." There's even no music!

In addition to the intro, I watched the two arm swing, which seems to be a very basic component of kettlebells. I swing around 9 lbs. a few times, with my first concern being form.

By the last set, I adjust the weight to 15 lbs.

Day 2: Abs Ball DVD

Day 3: I notice on Volume II the first section is "Joint Mobility Warm-ups." This seems like a good idea for someone starting out from scratch at my age. So, I pop in the DVD, quickly realize most of the warm ups are for two kettlebells . I only have one and there's no way I could do them with that much weight anyway.

So, I put on some 1.5 lb. hand weights I have and do the warm ups using them. It's a pretty thorough warm up and I actually hear joints creaking and cracking. I'll probably want to increase weights doing this pretty quickly, but I think it could be a really good part of a routine.

From there, I do 5 sets x 15 of two handed swings with the kettlebell.

Comments and Questions:

I think the next thing to add is some kind of overhead arm lift, a clean and jerk?

However, I lost all strength in m right wrist about a week ago. It's about halfway back, but I'm thinking I want to give it another week before I try to lift with it.

I'm thinking another week doing warm ups and two handed swings every other day.

Suggestions?

P.S. If I can try this, the rest of you have no excuses left. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]