View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Multi-tabling (how the heck do y\'all do it)

When I first started playing, I did one table for a few weeks. Then I got bored and starting two-tabling. That lasted another month or so. Then I started 3-tabling. This was back in the day before resizable tables, so all three were basically "cascaded" and that was about all I could handle given the overlap involved.

When Party and Stars started offering resizable tables, I moved to four-tabling, which I could now do without overlap. This was at 6-max. Again, that's about all I could do, since the action in shorthanded games moves pretty quickly.

After moving back to full ring, I expanded to six tables. I've been doing this about two months now, and I have no problem at all with it. Most situations that come up are so automatic that they don't really require any thought. The main problem I have is that my monitor can't handle more than six tables without almost completely covering some of them up, so that's my max for now. I'm pretty sure I would be able to run 8-9 tables successfully after I spring for a new monitor.

It just takes some getting used to. As you get away from starting hand charts and acclimate yourself to standard postflop lines, you'll find that it gets progressively easier to handle multiple tables simultaneously.

Edit: The main drawback to multitabling is that it makes it much harder to engage in table/seat selection. When I'm running six tables, I don't really have time to be constantly switching tables in and out because my seat is less than optimal. And it's not like Stars has a million full ring limit tables to choose from anyway. I frequently have to play at tables that aren't that great from seats that are less than ideal, but that's okay with me. I'm really only playing for recreation anyway.