View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Quick guide to satellite qualifying for big events

Here's my advice, FWIW.

I qualified for the WSOP ME for '05 and last night for '06 via Stars Double Shootout. Last year I hit a heater, made 3 straight FTs, and got in on the last one. This year, it took me about 10-11 tries to finally get it (with 3 FT's)

That said, THE VERY BEST WSOP Double Shootouts to play are the weekend variety that have the massive feeder 5.50 Turbo Rebuy feeders that fill up 60 or so of the 81 seats. Many of these players stumble into the DS and spaz all over themselves when they get there. Playing against these weaker players enables you to accumulate chips more quickly and give you a better shot at moving on. Even at the Final Table there are some satelite fish that find their way there. All 3 of my DS FT's this year were on the weekends. This is contrasted with the weeknight DS's that have only about 20 players fed from the 5.50 Rebuys. The other 61 that sign up are putting up $160 themselves, which increases the liklihood of competent players that can spare the $160 from their rolls. Further, from an anecdotal viewpoint, I attest he weekday versions are appreciably harder.

In the DS's, I cannot over emphasize the need to play LAG and acquire chips early. There is no difference between 2nd and 8th, so don't feel bad about early flameouts. Build a big stack and don't be afraid to wield it.