View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: I want to own not rent

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is often right to a degree, but not necessarily. I'm in the SF Bay Area (very expensive market, too) and have seen a bit of this. If this is the case, then keep looking. If you're a puss about standing up for yourself, they will run over you. If you let them know that you are new the market, a good realtor should understand that you may buy other houses in the future - and maybe if they're lucky you'll call on them.

A young realtor should be hungry for business. Seek them out, but make sure they're with a decent outfit (Coldwell Banker, Century 21, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

Coldwell Banker, Century 21, etc. don't exist in NYC - it's a completely unique market from that perspective. I'm not worried about being run over, etc., and I've never seriously considered buying in NYC. But my limited interaction when exploring purchases and when I've tagged along with friends who are buying led to my assumption.

In my experience renting, I've literally walked out of offices on 3 or 4 separate occasions.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's still well-known realtors for the City. You know who they are, even if I don't. c'mon. Other than that, I'm glad that you're willing to stand up for yourself - most people don't. You must be willing to control the terms and take your time when looking for a place, otherwise you will get screwed.