View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Critique my excercise program.

Hi.

I'm a newb here so feel free to berate me and point me to the FAQ (which I've browsed).

I've been doing a light workout program for the last couple of months. A friend of mine who's a personal trainer put it together for me, so I figure it's probably pretty solid, but I'd like to get a second opinion. I also need some help with the names of some of these exercises.

Background:
I'm 32yo male, 6'3" and 220lbs. I used to be really overweight (around 285lbs) when I was a young adult. Then at 27 I got my act together. I started eating more healthy and joined a squash club. I was obsessed with squash and would play 5-6 days a week up to 3hrs a day. I also started competing at a club level. At my peak I was down to 190lbs. I didn't have a regular lifting program, but just tried to squeeze in some push-ups, sit-ups and the occasional 30-40 mins. in the weight room.

Due to too much work and poker and decreased enthusiasm I've gained some weight again in the last couple of years, and I am in the process of getting fit again. I'm also focusing a bit more on weights this time.

Here's my program:

MON (chest+triceps):

10min warmup on elliptical/bike

-benchpress 2x12
-tricep pulldown 2x12
-("flying" machine - I don't know the correct word for this. Basically you push your arms together in a flying motion until the elbows almost touch) 2x12
-Lying down arm extension w/dumbells 2x12
-Leaning benchpress w/dumbells 2x12
-Assisted dips 2xMax (I use full assist and 12 reps right now)
-Sit-ups 4x40

WED (legs+shoulders)

-Squat-machine 2x12
-Militarypress w/dumbells 2x12
-Leg extensions 2x12
-Leg curls 2x12
-Bench stepups(?) w/dumbells (I take 2 dumbells, stand in front of a normal bench, step up on it with one leg, step back down and then repeat with the other leg 2x20(each leg)
-Shoulder extension w/dumbell 2x12
-Calf extensions in Smith-machine 2x20

FRI (biceps+back)

-dumbell curls w/twist 2x12
-back extensions 2x12
-lateral pulldown (machine where you sit down and pull down a bar above your head until it reaches your chin. Excercises biceps and back muscles) 2x12
-3-way barbell curl (8 low curls, 8 high curls, 8 full curls in succession) 2x 8/8/8
-Cable row 2x12
-Ab machine (front abs) 3x15
-Ab machine (side abs) 3x15

If I feel like it I'll sometimes do 20mins of cardio or 30 mins of squash after a weightlifting session to try and burn extra fat.

Tuesdays I play full-court basketball for 100mins. Thursdays and Saturdays I do squash or cardio. Sundays I rest.

My diet is basically:

Light breakfast in the morning (1 bowl of cheerios w/skimmed milk)

Light fruit/berries in mid morning.

Lunch is typically 6" whole wheat sub w/double turkey and no dressing. Sometimes chicken breast salad and once in a while fish + potatoes, grilled chicken + rice or maybey Thai beef salad (spicy).

In the afternoon I'll often have a plain yoghurt + musli (grain+raw oats+nuts+raisins)

1 hour before workout I'll have a bowl of cheerios to get my blood sugar up (otherwise I'll feel faint and nauseous at the end of the exercise)

After the exercise I'll have a protein shake for dinner. If I plan to eat a normal dinner I'll skip the shake though. Dinner usually consists of high protein, low fat stuff like grilled chicken breast + rice and veggies, chicken salad, scrambled egg whites + baked beans etc.

Late in the evening I'll eat a piece of fruit/cheerios/powerbar if I feel like I'm hungry. Often I don't.

1 day a week (usually saturday) I go nuts and eat anything I feel like (fast food, pizza, candy, snacks etc). I try to limit my alcohol intake to my one indulgence day.

During the week I drink lots of non-sugar carbonated drinks (diet-soda and carbonated water) and some coffee (plain espresso).

How does all this sound. I'd appreciate any feedback.