Thread: IP Check
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: IP Check

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, so if ever I get suspended, it'll be for like 15 minutes, right?

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Die Bitter - No. You won't get suspended at all.

If someone without mod status makes a post such that I feel they should be kicked off the forum at least until they cool down, then my current intention is to ban them from posting and somehow make it clear to them that they have to deal with an administrator (Ryan Beal, or Mat Sklansky) before regaining posting privileges.

Hopefully that will only take 15 minutes.

But they'll at least be forced to make some act of contrition to an administrator before regaining posting status. And that, I think, will make them much less likely to do something amiss in the future.

A one day ban, and then a two day ban, and then a three day ban, and then a one week ban and then a two week ban (or whatever) is playing games with wayward posters. It might be fun for them, but it's no fun for me to play games with someone who makes a post any six year old should know is inappropriate on a strategy and tactics forum.

I sincerely think banning someone until they are unbanned by an administrator is a better way for wayward posters to be handled on the forums I moderate than a point system, or banning for one day, then two days, etc.

Just in case RobinCR is not the same poster as bogey1, I will make sure that I write an e-mail message to the poster I banned from posting, so that he knows he has to deal with Ryan Beal or Mat Sklansky to get his posting privileges restored.

I bear the guy no malice. I don't recall ever reading a post by him before I banned him. He's the first guy I ever banned, and hopefully the last. I am loath to ban anyone.

(Thanks for the alerts, Cit. and Mike)

Buzz
Frank Jerome