View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Is it The Complete Guide to Winning Poker by Morehead?????

So I went ahead and dug out the Morehead. He has a 40 page chapter titled "High-Low Poker". This is mainly geared towards stud with a secondary portion given over to draw hands. Giving it the once over it does cover street by street play.

However, he doesn't appear to go into pot limit or other big bet type strategies.

As I remembered, the games of his examples are played without a qualifier. In one example he gives, he recommends folding rolled up kings.

As an added bonus, I also broke out a copy of A.D. Livingston's "Poker strategy and Winning Play". It is very similar to Morehead's title in approach though the information seems more technical and focused. Livingston has a specific table dealing with stud hi-lo probabilities.

He has a seven page chapter on hi-lo games, primarily stud. He also has a four and a half page overview on hi-lo stud specifically with some starting hand recommendations.

Like Morehead, Livingston's book predates 8 or better qualifying hands. Many of the games in both Morehead and Livingston discuss the strategy of declare games. If you've not played a delcare game, typically a player would use chips in their hand to declare whether they were betting high or low (or both ways) at the end of the betting. Livingston uses the rolled up kings example as well, reaching the same conclusion (to fold in a limit game).

To answer the OP, I saw no specific pot limit type information in Livingston's hi-lo pages, though there is a brief discussion of the mechanics of pot limit betting.

If one were curious to read the examples for themselves, Morehead is more thorough and uses more examples, but the Livingston chapters are probably more useful. If I remember correctly, Morehead even has some math errors that a simpleton like myself can pick out without doing the figuring.

A reader might even find interest in a new game they both discuss: "hold ME

If one were to pick up one of these books, they may be better served by Livingston. Your local public library may have either or both titles. For the poster looking for the older title, Livingston has a long list of other poker books tucked in before the his index.