View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: DeathDonkey is in \"The Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
DD, thanks for doing this!

1. In a recent thread (either here or DC, don't remember) we were talking about raising suited broadways if the pot had not been raised yet. What guidelines do you have regarding this? Your're not opening UTG w/ QTs right, so where does one draw the line? The hand specifically discussed in the thread was raising KTs in SB after a few limpers.

2. I am primarily a limit player beginning to dabble in NL. The LHE->NL forum is off to a good start and it is nice to see your presence there. What has been the most difficult part in transitioning from playing limit to playing NL?

DD, thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Well I play 6 max or shorter so often that its pretty much correct for me to open any two suited broadways in any unraised pot. In full ring though yes you have to draw the line at the weakest ones but its honestly not a big mistake if you raised them all. Hands such as these don't have very bad reverse implied odds (RIO) because they are capable of playing well in big pots and/or small pots. If you can win with one pair, they are fine for that, if you need a straight or flush to win a big pot, they will hold their own too, so there isn't much risk in building a pot with hands like this. The key to remember is if I raise in the SB with KT of clubs in a 5 way pot and the flop comes 345 all spades, I DON'T HAVE TO BET.

2) Just overcoming your natural tendencies and to stop and think about your action. Like on the river you will quickly go to value bet what you feel is the best hand but you need to ask in NL "how much should I bet, if any" and "what hands WILL CALL this bet and is that a good thing or not". In limit some decisions are so easy you don't care what calls you, you know that you are usually going to win and if they call they call, in NL this is hardly ever the case and many "easy value bets" just aren't profitable. This is just one example of a limit tendency that you have to stop and think deeply about before acting in NL.

-DeathDonkey