View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Buying stocks with high dividends?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a guy who doesn't do any day trading, I guess I'm in it for the relative long run although not true long run (2 years, maybe)? What do you guys think of stocks like C or BAC which right now are projected to have huge (6-7%) dividends? I don't have too much cash to invest, between 5k-20k, depending how many other positions I'm willing to sacrifice. Any clues? What are the chances of the dividends being cut/killed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering the same thing. Eventually I think many bank stocks are going to get to the point that they are ridiculously cheap (like less than book value) but they aren't there yet. The problem is nobody really knows what's on their balance sheets, and then there are questions about what they have off balance sheet.

I suspect there's going to be a lot more in the way of write offs by banks and their stocks are going to get cheaper. It's hard to know what book value really is for a lot of these companies that have a lot of derivative and subprime exposure. I think I'll probably wait at least a few more months before I do anything.