View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Do kids benefit from a loveless marriage?

It's a really difficult question, isn't it? I've mentioned several times on the forum that I'm the product of divorce. I used to think parents should never split up if they had kids. It was a mean thing to do to kids. Part of me still feels that way.

When my parents told us that they were going to divorce, I remember us all crying. An hour later my oldest sister talked to us in private and confided that she was, frankly, relieved. She was sick of their fighting and sick of the two of them. It made us laugh and we felt better. My sister has never changed her mind about this. She thinks it was the correct thing for my parents to do.

I'm still not sure what I think about the whole thing. I think my dad was a bit of a jerk to do it, to be honest. Even when I disassociate myself, I can't understand how my dad could walk away from my older sisters. There was so much he could have taught us. What a crappy thing for him to do. Now that I'm older, and after watching Before Sunset, I can sort of understand that everyone has a right to his own happiness...yeah, even at the expense of others.